By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Everybody has a power ratings index regarding a collegiate conference or professional league or something completely off the charts.
But they make for good debate. I had a vote for the Big 12 preseason rankings in July. Of course, that was based on what had happened prior to fall workouts beginning. Since then, some things have changed and personnel issues have surfaced. They can change the look of a team.
So Rattle and Hum Sports presents its inaugural Big 12 Power Ratings Index for the 2012 season.
Big 12 Ratings Index
- Oklahoma – The Sooners will be challenged by losses in the trenches.
- West Virginia – A leaner Geno Smith could spell Heisman Trophy?
- Oklahoma State – In Mike Gundy we trust.
- Texas – Lots of pressure on that defense this year.
- TCU – $160 million renovated Amon Carter Stadium three weeks away from opening.
- Kansas State – Need to prove 2011 wasn’t a fluke.
- Baylor – So many offensive options; but enough on defense?
- Texas Tech – Running backs are still not completely healthy.
- Iowa State – May have the best linebackers in the conference.
- Kansas – Dayne Crist has had a solid fall camp.
After reading a lot of the Big 12 media’s accounts and notes from the school’s athletic web sites, here’s where I think we are at two weeks before the season begins.
- Oklahoma’s loss of starting offensive linemen Ben Haburn and Kyle Evans and now Friday’s recent indefinite suspension of defensive tackle Stacy McGee for a violation of team policy is really going to test the depth of this team. Any more losses during the season and the Sooners’ national championship hopes are in real trouble.
- Texas’ quarterbacking situation hasn’t produced a leader, and I’m not sure if we’re going to get there. This is either the Texas coaches struggling to make the transition to a running game with efficient quarterback play or David Ash and Case McCoy just won’t be able to make the transition to the college game in spite of their recruiting ratings.
- I’m pretty close to saying West Virginia is the best team in this conference, but I need to see how the Mountaineers do in Austin first. They’ve had a good camp.
- Baylor quarterback Nick Florence will probably face the most pressure of any Big 12 player this year because he’s replacing a Heisman Trophy winner. He really hasn’t been pushed by Bryce Petty for the starting job, and I’m not so sure that was a good thing.
- Texas Tech is on its fourth defensive coordinator in four years with Art Kaufman. He may be the man responsible for Tommy Tuberville keeping his job in 2013.
- Like Texas, Iowa State still can’t figure out who its starting quarterback will between Steele Jantz and Jared Barnett. The longer this goes, the more dysfunctional offense may become.
- TCU coach Gary Patterson should not have hidden behind the university policy regarding quarterback Casey Pachall and his recent drug use admission to police. Patterson needed to take a stand and suspend Pachall for the Sept. 8 opener against Grambling State. The concern is what message it sends to the locker room and this hangs over the entire season.
- Well, Kansas State coach Bill Snyder has cut off media access for the fall camp so I guess we’ll all find out what the Wildcats are made of soon.
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has built a solid program as season ticket records are set, but the Cowboys just won’t be as good as they were last year. Far from it.
- The more I’m reading up on Kansas, the more I think the Jayhawks can find a way to get five wins.
- Who Are The Best Big 12 Passing Tandems? Check Out Our Top 10 List: (rattleandhumsports.com)
- Big 12 Media Days Start Monday in Dallas (rattleandhumsports.com)
- Who Are The Top Big 12 Conference Newcomers (rattleandhumsports.com)
- Big 12 Football Camps Get Going this Weekend (rattleandhumsports.com)
- VIDEO: Mike Gundy Meets The Media (rattleandhumsports.com)
- Ten Must Win Games For Teams In The Big 12 Conference – Rattle And Hum Sports (rattleandhumsports.com)
- VIDEO: TCU Safety Sam Carter – Rattle And Hum Sports (rattleandhumsports.com)
- AP College Football Poll Released – Rattle And Hum Sports (rattleandhumsports.com)
- VIDEO: Dana Holgorsen Interview At Big 12 Media Days (rattleandhumsports.com)